These wrecks are only a few of
the many accessible from our location on Pt. Traverse.
courtesy of Mike Williams (email@example.com)
Built in 1867, this two masted schooner foundered between False Duck & Timber Islands
and sank on Nov. 12, 1904. 110'x24'x9', she lies in about 80' of water on a mud bottom.
The stern, broken off, lies close to the main hull which itself is beginning to show signs
of her age. Much of her equipment can be found with the wreck eg. deadeyes, anchors,
wheel, blocks, chain etc.
Wooden propeller - 218' x 33' x 13'. Built in 1881 as a package freighter, she was later
converted to a bulk barge. She was downbound during a gale on August 17, 1921 with a cargo
of wire cable when she went down in about 43' of water off the south shore of Pt.
Traverse. All hands escaped safely in a lifeboat. View a ship's wheel, rudder, winch, 4
anchors, coils of wire cable etc.
City of Sheboygan
This 135'x27'x10', three masted schooner was built in 1871. On Sept. 25, 1915, she sank
with her cargo of coal in a violent storm. She took the lives of her 5 crew members with
her. She sits upright on a hard bottom in 100' of water off of Amherst Island. Masts,
rigging, blocks deadeyes etc. adorn this beautiful, well preserved wreck.
The front half of this steel steamer foundered in a storm while under tow on December 3,
1918. Built in 1890, both sections of her hull were enroute to Montreal to be rejoined for
World War I service. Eleven lives were lost. The bow section lies upside down in 40'-80'
of water on the rocky floor of Lake Ontario.
5 / Olive Branch
This two masted schooner sank on the night of Sept. 30, 1880 near False Duck Island,
taking the lives of the captain & crew. She rests in 100' of water near one of the
Pennicons, sitting upright at the base of a shoal. Intact, much of her equipment remains
on board eg. deadeyes, wheel, anchor, blocks.
This 137' 3-masted bark, built at St. Catherines, Ontario in 1857, capsized & sank
during a white squall on Aug. 3, 1858, south of Pt. Traverse in 105' of water. An
ornately-carved bow stem, hugh windlass, copper cappings on the bow, sampson and windlass
posts, a pump, deck winch, deadeyes & more. Visibility can range from 50'-100',
depending upon water conditions.
Built in 1852, this two masted schooner was 95' x 22' x 13'. Captain Danny Bates lost her
on Oct. 23, 1900, just south of False Duck Island, on his way home from Oswego with a load
of coal. No lives were lost. The hull sits upright in 55' of water on a silty bottom. A
section of the stern is colapsed.
This steam tug sank on Nov. 14, 1933 in some 30' of water off Timber Island with no loss
of life. Originally 102' x 19' x 13', her hull lies torn apart as her owners had tried to
drag her to shore to salvage her engines. Intriguing rock formations and the fish that
have made this wreck their home entertain many of the open water students who choose to
dive her remains.